Apricot-Walnut Cereal Bars
Store-bought cereal bars?
Making your own isn’t as hard as you may think. Personalize the recipe to taste with your fruit and nut favorites:
• 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, (about 2 ounces)
• 3 cups unsweetened puffed-grain cereal, such as Kashi
• 2 cups chopped dried apricots
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 12 ounces silken tofu, drained (about 1 1/3 cups)
• 1 large egg
• 1/2 cup canola oil
• 1 cup honey
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a large (15 1/4-by-10 1/4-inch) jellyroll-style pan with cooking spray.
2. Spread oats and walnuts on a baking sheet with sides. Bake until fragrant and light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add puffed cereal, dried apricots, flour and salt; stir to combine.
3. Meanwhile, puree tofu, egg, oil, honey, vanilla and lemon zest in a food processor or blender until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Make a well in the center of the oat mixture; fold in the tofu mixture until combined. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
4. Bake until firm in the center and golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before cutting into bars with a sharp knife.
Serving Size: 16, Per serving : 306 Calories; 12 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 5 g Mono; 13 mg Cholesterol; 46 g Carbohydrates; 6 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 87 mg Sodium; 367 mg Potassium