Keep your holiday healthy. Plan ahead for your 4th of July festivities to help you stay on track.
1. Start the day with a workout. It's less likely to be pushed of the schedule and you'll create healthy mindset for the day.
2. Eat a healthy breakfast. Resist the urge to "save" your calories for the picnic/party. You'll be famished & more likely to overeat.
3. Drink up! Water, that is. Drink a cup of water before/between each glass of alcohol, juice, or punch.
4. Serve yourself & sit down. No eating at the buffet table. Those "standing calories" and "tastes" do count!
5. Eat your veggies. They are very low cal (just watch the dip). You'll also benefit from nutrients such as antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
6. Go grilled. Choose lean proteins fresh off the grill such as chicken or fish. Skip the hot dogs and hamburgers; white buns are a big no-no!
7. Watch your portion sizes. This goes without saying. Strategies aside, if you overeat your body will still store the excess as fat. Period.
8. Make dessert fruity. Satisfy your sweet tooth while adding healthy nutrients & cutting calories-watch out for added sugars!
Here are some great fruity recipes: Heart-Healthy Summer Desserts