Carbs: To eat them or not to eat them? Part 1
Carbohydrates, or "carbs", have gotten a bad rap lately. News reports, magazine articles, fad diets, and so-called experts alike have joined the band wagon to vilify this diverse, and very necessary macronutrient.
Carbs are, in fact, an extremely and very vital component of a healthy diet, and thus a healthy body.
Benefits of include:
* your main source of fuel for all activity and exercise.
* readily available energy source for your body.
* energy source for all your tissues and cells.
* proper function on your central nervous system, including your brain, heart, kidneys, and muscles.
* energy storage in the liver and muscles.
* vital component of proper waste elimination and intestinal health.
The goal isn't to eat remove carbohydrates from your diet. The goal is to limit, or omit less healthy, nutrient-poor carb choices, while mindfully adding nutrient-rich, fiber filled choices to your daily diet.
Tomorrow: Part 2, Simple vs complex carbohydrates.