Fitting in fitness
Summer can be a busy, busy time for many people. Making time for healthy eating and consistent workouts can be a challenge. Here are some tips to help you stay on track and manage your healthy lifestyle:
1. PLAN! Leaving things to chance could leave your workouts out in the cold. If your schedule looks full, make choices about how your day or week will go BEFORE the "heat of battle." Find opportunities ahead of time and write them into your day/week either the day before or at the beginning of the week.
2. Take advantage of small breaks. A dab will do! If you don't have an hour to workout, do short 5-10 min "fit bites", ie a quick walk, a mini circuit of pushups and triceps dips, a set or two of ab crunches, or a few trips up and down the stairs.
3. Multitask. While not appropriate for all tasks, you can use "down time" can be used for your benefit. Stretch while waiting for the printer, copier, or computer download. Do heel raises or squats while waiting on hold on the phone. Balance on one foot while standing in line.
4. Write yourself on the schedule. Your health is as important, if not more, than any other appointment. It's easier to say that you have an appointment at a specific time that can't be moved if you actually have that appointment written down. Put down, and stick to it no matter what. After all, if you get sick or ill due to taking poor care of yourself it could mean more, and be far worse, than simply having to say 'no' to a commitment during your exercise time.
5. Pack a lunch and snacks! This can save you! Bringing your own food with you means you choose what you eat and you're less likely to skip a meal, either of other of which could make the ultimate difference in your weight management success or failure.