Slim Belly Eating
March is National Nutrition Month and a great time to take a serious look what you're eating.
A study released in the February 26th issue of the New England Journal of Medicine compared a variety of diet plans emphasizing varying degrees of fat, protein and carbohydrates, and found that you can lose weight with any eating plan that will help you to eat fewer calories. So, that means whether you prefer South Beach or Slim Fast, the end result is less calories in than calories out (burned). You can even treat yourself occasionally as long as you don't over do it.
1. 80/20. Just like it sounds, healthy eating 80% of the time, 20% don't tell me what you had (within reason, of course.
2. The Weekend Rule. Treat yourself either with a meal choice or dessert on one day of the weekend. This is my favorite strategy when training for competitions.
3. Just a Bite. Eat a treat everyday, but only allow yourself a few controlled bites.
4. Write it Down. A recent study showed that people who wrote down what they ate were more likely to lose weight and keep it off than those who don't.
5. Use Small Plates/Utensils. A recent study showed that people who were given a large bowl and ice cream scoop served themselves and ate a whopping 60% more than those who were given smaller versions.
Check our fitness blog regularly this month for regular posts to help you eat healthy and slim your waistline.